There is a lot of information and advice available on how to be more productive, both at an individual level, and at a team level.
This post, found on Marc and Angel Hack Life, is a really great summary of all of the best tips for being highly productive and efficient. Here’s the gist:
1. Have a “to-don’t” list – to prevent you from doing things you know are counterproductive before you can even consider them.
2. Organise your space – when you can find something quickly, you’ll get to the real work more quickly too.
3. Eliminate distractions – you could go as far as temporarily turning off your phone and locking your door when you really want to give a task 110% attention.
4. Make your goals SMART
5. Break down goals into realistic tasks – ideally, each ‘section’ (or task) of the goal should be able to be completed within a few hours.
6. Put first things first – do the most important things in the morning, when your mind is fresh.
7. Do one thing at a time – multitasking does not make you more productive!
8. Work in 90 minute intervals, then take a break – as Tony Schwartz says, ‘the more continuously we work, the less productive we become’.
9. Have set times for replying to email, voicemail, etc – try to do this for 30 minutes, 3 times a day. Sticking to this is another way to eliminate distractions and make sure you do one thing at a time.
10. Sometimes, just say ‘no’ – if you’ve got too much on your plate, don’t take on extra responsibilities or projects. When you try to do too many things, your overall productivity and quality of output will suffer.